How it all started

It all started on the 23rd of November 2014, As a Nigerian,  its mandatory to partake in NYSC especially if you want to work in the country. I woke up very early that day to embark on an 18 hour journey via road. This is because, I was posted to Kogi State where they had no airport.Another alternative was to fly to Abuja and then board a bus back to Kogi,which in my opinion, was almost a waste of time. Kogi was the least place I thought I would find myself,  I was oblivious of what to expect and how I will cope in a new environment,far away from my family. I played different scenarios in my head as I looked out of the window. Before i knew it, my eyes were shutting and i would have sworn i slept for 3 hours but when i woke up, it was as if we didn't move an inch. I was exhausted and my legs felt numb. Finally, We had a stopover and I had to look for a place to eat and ease myself.  The restaurant had a public toilet which we had to pay a stipend before we can make use of it. What a wow!!! Some passengers had to use a nearby Bush while others including me paid because I was scared of snakes and other dangerous animals. Then it was time to buy food, the food was an eyesore. I bought rice and stew, the stew was black and the meat was so hard and I couldn't eat it. I was moved to tears because this was a first hand experience for me. I resorted to eating banana and ground nut. It was time to continue our journey, I couldn't wait to get to my destination even though I don't know what awaits me there. The good thing was that the bus I boarded took me straight to the NYSC camp and that eased the stress of struggling to get another bus. Registration has already commenced and the queue was so long like they were sharing freebies.  Well, I didn't have  a choice so I joined. Few hours later, the workers said they had close for the day and the registration will continue tomorrow. I noticed people were rushing towards a particular direction so I asked someone what was going on, she told me they were rushing to get a mattress and also get a good spot to sleep. "Will this struggle end anytime soon". I said under my breath. I finally got hold of a flat mattress commonly called "a student mattress".
The morning after, I woke up to a whistle by the armies in the camp. I barely had enough sleep and I was exhausted.  I couldn't have my bath because it was time for the early morning parade.
***************************
While on the queue for the registration, i turned to my right and noticed someone was staring at me. I looked away and refused to look back at him. In no time, I was done with my registration and  headed back to my dormitory.  I find it challenging to get along with people easily and I can count the number of friends I have in one hand. The morning parade and the camp shenanigans were beginning to irritate and I have to find a means to avoid it. The camp clinic was my only way out, it became my second abode and I found solace there. Whenever the soldiers came in to drive us out of the hostel, I just show them my "sick permit" and they let me be. There was this girl across my bed, she observed that I was always keeping to myself. We got talking and became very close. While I was at Mami market the following week, i saw the guy that was staring at me during register. He moved his mouth like he wanted to utter some words but I looked away. My new friend, Sharon noticed my countenance but she didn't utter any word. That same week, I "fell ill" as usual and I was admitted at the camp clinic. Sharon came to check up on me, She told me "my friend" asked of me but she told him I was indisposed. "Who's your friend ", I asked pretending I didn't know who she was talking about. "That fine guy that walked up to you at Mami market ", she replied. I switched topic because I didn't want to talk about him.

Comments